Creative Economy Agency (Public Organization) or CEA, together with Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, government and private agencies, educational institutes, international organization, and the network of creative business districts, would like to invite everyone to experience the world-class creative festival "Bangkok Design Week 2023 (BKKDW2023)", which will be organized for 9 days in 9 creative business districts under the theme "urban'NICE'zation (A Nice City)". The objectives of this event are to provide economic opportunities, revitalize the city's atmosphere so that it can embrace and accommodate the so-called 'nice friends' of all dimensions (environment, travel, cultures, businesses, communities, and all other diversities), and turn the 5 new areas into creative business districts. The business districts in this festival include: 1) Charoen Krung - Talad Noi 2) Sam Yan - Siam 3) Ari-Pradipat 4) Phra Nakhon / Pak Khlong Talat / Nang Loeng; and the new business districts, i.e., 5) Yaowarat, 6) Wong Wian Yai - Talat Phlu / Khlong San 7) Bangpho 8) Phrom Phong 9) Kaset Nawamin, and other areas. Also, this event is intended to welcome the opening of the city in 2023, expecting more than 100,000 domestic and foreign tourists with the economic value of at least 200 million baht throughout the period of this festival.
Today (23 January 2023), Dr. Chakrit Pichyangkul, CEA Executive Director, Associate Professor Chadchart Sittipunt, Bangkok governor, Mr. Sanon Wangsrangboon, Deputy Governor of Bangkok, the representatives of the districts participating in this festival, partnership of Thailand Creative District Network, and CEA executives, have jointly organized the press conference about "Bangkok Design Festival 2023" which will be held during 4 - 12 February 2023 from 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. with an intention to boost the creative economy in Bangkok in a continual manner.
The main theme of this festival is "urban'NICE'zation (A Nice City)", focusing on how to 'design' the development on the 'quality of life' and revitalize Bangkok in a way that it becomes an agreeable city for "living, investment, and tourism" again. The emphasis is also placed on the balance and the conformity of economy, quality of life, and environment with "people" as a core essence so that Bangkok will become a city that can develop on the basis of any changes and can respond to the new
challenges at any time. The festival covers the following 9 major business districts across Bangkok, i.e., 1) Charoen Krung - Talad Noi 2) Yaowarat 3) Sam Yan - Siam 4) Ari-Pradipat 5) Phra Nakhon / Pak Khlong Talat / Nang Loeng 6) Wong Wian Yai - Talat Phlu / Khlong San 7) Bangpho 8) Phrom Phong, and 9) Kaset Nawamin.
Dr. Chakrit Pichyangkul, CEA Executive Director, said that Bangkok Design Week 2023 will be another platform to generate the creative economy ecosystem, which is believed to provide business opportunities and income, promote collaboration that leads to network creation, and activate the creative city of Bangkok. The festival has been organized for the 6th consecutive year, focusing mainly on designs and creativity that can help 'make the urban nice' through the 6 dimensions, namely Nice for Environment, Nice for Mobility, Nice for Culture, Nice for Business, Nice for Community, and Nice for Diversity. The event covers the area of 9 creative business districts with more than 530 programs categorized into the four main formats as follows:
1. Showcase & Exhibition: The works produced by creators are showcased in order to present the ideas that can be applied to solve problems and improve the quality of life 2.Talk & Workshop: It is aimed to provide knowledge and new ideas from the specialized creators both in and out of the country. 3. Creative Market & Promotion: The 6 creative flea markets shall be opened across Bangkok with more than 80 brands available therein. 4.Event & Program: This focuses on the activities that can create nice atmosphere in the city. The activities will be held in different forms such as music performances, film screenings, performing arts, lighting techniques on architecture, and Open House of the people in the areas involved in this festival. It is expected that all of these activities will help arouse creativity and inspiration that can encourage the residents of the city to make Bangkok a better city for everyone.
"Referring to the development of creative business districts, currently, many districts under this program have been growing with emerging businesses all the time. Even during the COVID-19 epidemic, there were still new businesses emerging, such as in the area of Charoen Krung - Talad Noi. The festival has been organized over the past 5 years and it has been attracting more than 1.75 million tourists, creating economic value of more than 1,368 million baht. This year, the number of participating districts increases from 5 to 9. It is believed that the festival of this year will be highly successful, too. And it will elevate the economy and generate some new models for urbanization in Bangkok in the future," said Dr. Chakrit.
Associate Professor Chadchart Sittipunt, Bangkok governor, said that, according to the "Good Creative Policy" of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration designated to gear up the economy by organizing 12 festivals throughout the year in order to unleash the potential of different districts across Bangkok, "Bangkok Design Week 2023", which will be held in February, is under the month of "Good Design, Good Bangkok" of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The designs showcased in this festival shall be employed as tools for urban development and modernization, and for tackling with various problems. Thereby, the said designs are subjected to the processes of study, prototype development, and testing. Above all, general people shall be encouraged to have engagement in testing the prototypes for further improvement. It can be clearly seen that Bangkok is full of designers after listed as Bangkok City of Design in UNESCO Creative City Network in 2019.
This year, there are 9 creative business districts participating in the festival. Throughout the 9 days of this festival, those interested can enjoy the unique identity of the following districts:
1. Charoen Krung - Talad Noi is regarded as 'Thailand's model creative business district', full of new and old cultures that blend well together. This area is filled with modern art galleries and design showrooms; however, the original architecture and the old community ways are still well preserved. This zone is packed with a variety of activities available in more than 30 venues such as TCDC, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, General Post Office, Phadung Krung Kasem Canal, Chai Phatthanasilp Building, River city, etc.
2. Yaowarat under the concept 'CITY TROOPER X ACADEMIC PROGRAM': It is an event that invites citizens who are interested in urban development and 13 educational institutions to work together in order to find out what the city really needs, which must be appropriate to both people and the area itself so that it could be a part of Bangkok City of Design of UNESCO.
3. Sam Yan - Siam is the hub of learning resources and the major business center of Bangkok. It is also considered an experimental field for creative people from different fields who assemble here to brainstorm the ideas and explore new possibilities. The main venues in this area include Art4C, House of Passa, Saratta, etc.
4. Phra Nakhon / Pak Khlong Talat / Nang Loeng are the towns that are as old as Bangkok. These areas are famous for their classic and distinguished cultures. They are also deemed as the places of creativity that can be applied in conservation, extension, and creation of new stories of Bangkok. There are many important venues in these districts, e.g., Silpakorn University (Wang Tha Phra Campus), Old Publishing House, Mansri Metropolitan Waterworks, Town Square, the First Post Office, Ban Nang Loeng, etc.
5. Ari-Pradipat: AriAround joins forces with the network of creators to organize "Open House, Open Area, Open City" for visitors to see studios, houses, and shops with an intention to promote the district to be a new hip area and a creative learning district. There is also an effort to promote the local businesses here, which is believed to make this neighbourhood more liveable. The venues in this area include 33 Space, Pradipad 17 Park, Public Relations Department Park, etc.
6. Phrom Phong: The highlights of this business district in the heart of the city, Sukhumvit 26, are presented by 49 & FRIENDS, the group of creators who are driving the economy in this area to grow up while developing the area to be more liveable. It has become another check-in point with exciting stories and new experiences. This area also provides safety for commuters at night together with a variety of creative activities.
7. Bangpho: The legend of the last wood street in Bangkok is continued under the concept 'Bangpho Wood Street: The Living legend'. This area is designated to be a cultural space and living learning center. The producers of wood products in the old areas are encouraged to apply creativity to add more value to their products. It is expected that this will make the local people proud of their identity and assets, and then Bangpho would be more renowned. At the meantime, there will be the biggest and the most inclusive wood sale event ever been in the past 15 years. The festival includes all wood stores with a variety of wood products, e.g., wooden furniture, wood carving, processed wood products, various types of decorations, etc., with the maximum discount of more than 50%.
8. Wong Wian Yai - Talat Phlu / Khlong San: The activity here is aimed to promote and present the identity of Wong Wian Yai - Talat Phlu in a new format in order that it becomes a creative business district in terms of cultures, beliefs, food, and art works. SC Asset cooperates with Young Thon Group, educational institutes, creators, entrepreneurs, and local communities in Khlong San, to showcase the assets within the area in a new format, which is in compliance to the new era. For instance, the visitors can go sightseeing by boat, a new gimmick provided by SUP X Klong San and Iconsiam. By this way, they are able to experience the highlights and the creative ideas of the places, which clearly represent the contexts of this district.
9. Kaset Nawamin: The concept of 'GREEN LIVING: Good Green, Good Living' emphasizes the application of knowledge about technology and innovation of the university to establish a model community in which the people can live their daily life in proper housing with balance and sustainability. Kaset Fair is also included in this activity and there is a design of waste dumping point at Amornphan Market. Kasetsart University, the shop owners, and the local communities will join this festival and the following creative highlights can be found in this event.
Let's turn Bangkok into "A Nice City" for everyone in #BKKDW2023. For more information, please visit www.bangkokdesignweek.com, FB and IG: bangkokdesignweek, Twitter: @BKKDesignWeek, Line: @bangkokdesignweek